What are the 4 types of transitions?
Merriam (2005) identifies four types of life transitions; the anticipated transitions, unanticipated transitions, nonevent transitions and sleeper transitions.
What are transition sentences examples?
Transition words and phrases
|Type||Example sentence||Transition words and phrases|
|Causal||Because Hitler failed to respond to the British ultimatum, France and the UK declared war on Germany.||because, therefore, consequently, if, provided that, so that, to|
What are transitional words and phrases?
What Are Transitional Words and Phrases? The most basic transition words are conjunctions that join words, phrases, or clauses together. For example, words like “and,” “but” and “or” can connect two sentences together: I ran home, and I got there just in time.
What words can I use to start a paragraph?
Transition Words for Each Argument
|Words to Show Contrast||Words to Add to an Idea||Words That Show Cause|
|although||moreover||as a result|
|in contrast||as well as||consequently|
How do you start sentences?
Creative Sentence Structures
- Begin with a verb ending with -ing.
- Begin with a verb ending with -ed.
- Begin with a prepositional phrase.
- Begin with an adverb.
- Begin with an adjective.
- Begin with a phrase that tells when.
- Begin with a phrase that tells where.
- Begin with a sound word.
What are good transitional phrases?
|LOGICAL RELATIONSHIP||TRANSITIONAL EXPRESSION|
|Cause and Effect||accordingly, consequently, hence, so, therefore, thus|
|Additional Support or Evidence||additionally, again, also, and, as well, besides, equally important, further, furthermore, in addition, moreover, then|
How can I start my paragraph?
The First Paragraph: The Introduction
- Describe your main idea, or what the essay is about, in one sentence.
- Develop a thesis statement, or what you want to say about the main idea.
- List three points or arguments that support your thesis in order of importance (one sentence for each).
What’s a transitional phrase?
Using transitional phrases is a way to guide your reader from one thought to the next. These are used within your paragraphs as you move from one idea to another as well as when you need to move your reader to the next paragraph. Think of transitions as the links that help your writing flow.
What are the 3 types of transitions?
10 Types of Transitions
- Addition. “Also, I have to stop at the store on the way home.”
- Comparison. “In the same way, the author foreshadows a conflict between two minor characters.”
- Concession. “Granted, you did not ask ahead of time.”
- Contrast. “At the same time, what she said has some truth to it.”
What are some examples of elaboration?
Essentially, elaboration is encoding the original content in a different but related way. There are primarily two kinds of elaboration: visual and verbal. For example, to learn the pair “cow-ball” a person could form a visual image of a cow kicking a ball.
What are 5 examples of phrases?
5 Examples of Phrases
- Noun Phrase; Friday became a cool, wet afternoon.
- Verb Phrase; Mary might have been waiting outside for you..
- Gerund Phrase; Eating ice cream on a hot day can be a good way to cool off.
- Infinitive Phrase; She helped to build the roof.
- Prepositional Phrase; In the kitchen, you will find my mom.
What are the 10 examples of noun?
10 Examples of Proper Nouns
- Asoka was a wise king.
- Sita is a good girl.
- London is on the bank of the river Thames.
- Kalidasa is the Shakespeare of India.
- Paris is the capital of France.
- China is the most populous country in the world.
- Bill Gates is the richest person in the world.
How can I make teaching writing fun?
Here are some tips on how to bring out the fun in writing in your ESL class.
- Don’t overcorrect their writing.
- Encourage them to guess at spelling.
- Work together to write things.
- Let them write about their interests.
- Avoid giving too many writing assignments.
- Use Mad Libs.
- Incorporate drawing or coloring.